Wednesday, January 1, 2014

DIY Birthday Leotard: Tutu Party Prep

Happy 2014 everyone! 


We celebrated low key at home by doing our regular night routine while wearing sparkly happy new year crowns. Anything out of the ordinary is an instant celebration for the kids, so it was fun. 

The start of 2014 means that Lily is turning two! I really can't figure out what happened to my little baby, but she somehow turned into an independent, hysterically funny, beautiful little girl. And she's a perfect reason to throw a little party. 

I really haven't paid as much attention to planning this party as I usually do, because we're going to Disney next week and I've been dealing with getting that ready. I hope I can somehow pull her party together in the one week I have when we get back. 

Even though I haven't prepared anything else, Lily's outfit is set! We're having a tutu (two two) party and the birthday girl (and hopefully the guests) will be rocking a fab little tutu to her soirée. I couldn't figure out what she should be wearing under her tutu but when I found a tiny little leotard on sale in Kohls I knew Lily would be given the full ballerina treatment. (Yes, we have some ballet slippers and leg warmers too!) 



I really wanted to add a sparkly 2 to the front of the leotard and searched online and in Michaels for some sort of rhinestone iron on number to use. My search ended with hobby lobby's website (no store near where I live) but when the iron on cost 80 cents and the shipping was $6 I just couldn't bring myself to click purchase. 

And then I realize I already own rhinestones and a glue gun. So I got to work.

I put a piece of cardboard on the inside of the leotard because I didn't want to accidentally glue it shut. Then I just laid out the rhinestones until I liked how they looked. 



A little glue gunning...



...and less than three minutes later I was left with this:



The birthday girl was not so interested in modeling her new leotard for the camera, so I'll have to wait for the party to get a picture of her in it. But now that Lily's birthday outfit is dealt with I can (should) start focusing on the rest of the party. I honestly have no idea if my little creation is machine washable or not but I'll risk it.

Anyone else use a glue gun and sparkles to jazz up some clothes? What happened when you washed it? Let me know below!

1 comment :

Wenni Donna said...

DIY Birthday Leotard! It’s amazing and those additional embellishments are super nice. My kid’s birthday parties are always my favorite. This year we had thrown a fun DIY party on his 7th birthday. It was a star wars inspired bash that I hosted at one of the best LA event venues.