Wednesday, November 6, 2013

DIY Instagram Magnets

Hi my name is Goldie, and I am an Instagram addict.

Instagram really feeds into my taking too many pictures problem. But I have it, I'm hooked, and I'm probably not stopping anytime soon. 

You know me, I like actually printing pictures. The square shape on an Instagram wouldn't fit into a standard album but then I found out about stickygram and I really wanted to order some. Stickygram is a company that takes your Instagram pictures and turns them into magnets. I love the idea of wallpapering my fridge with my instagrams (have you seen Taza's? It's ahhmazing) but I realized it was going to get really expensive really quickly. They charge $15 for 9 pictures, so if you print a bunch it gets out of hand. And I of course, wanted to use a lot of pictures.

So I decided to make my own!

This past Saturday was absolutely gorgeous and then with the combination of changing the clock and a cold front, my fabulous fall came to an abrupt halt, and it was officially winter. Lily didn't get the memo about sleeping late after the clock was changed and was ready to party at 6 am. Looking on the bright side, I had an extra hour that morning  to work on my super simple DIY Instagram magnets.

The first thing you need to do is print your pictures. There are a lot of ways to do this, and there are websites dedicated to printing your Instagram pictures. I wanted to do mine as cheap as possible. Using picmonkey.com, which is a free photo editing site, I made a collage with 6 instagrams each on a 4x6 picture. When you're on Instagram, the size of the picture is 2 inches by 2 inches. By having 6 instagrams on a 4x6 picture, you end up with printed Instagram pictures with the same dimensions as on your phone. Snapfish was having a penny prints promotion and I ordered 13 pictures. Because each picture had 6 instagrams on it, I ended up getting 78 instagrams for 13 cents. Not bad right?


Here are some of the 4x6s. You can see on the bottom right that I repeated two pictures. I did this so I can give some of these magnets to other people too. 


The above is a cut out Instagram placed on my phone and it really is the same size! I loved how these came out printed. After you have your printed pictures, glue the entire 4x6 onto a sheet of magnet paper. I used mod podge as the glue and it stayed really well. I got a pack of magnet paper in Staples. The package had 4 sheets in it and it was about $10.


After everything is dry, cut out each Instagram picture. The best way to do this is probably with a cutting board as an x acto knife but life is not perfect, and neither am I, so I just cut with regular scissors. 


Here's my stack of cut magnet pictures. At this point you can call it a day, and hang your magnets up if you want. You can also go one step further to give the magnets a little more ooh lala. I'll let you decide what you want to do, I kept going. See that bottle in the picture? It's mod podge dimensional magic and let me tell you it is magic. Like Disney princess magical. It basically adds an extra layer of dimension that makes the magnets look a little more professional. It's really simple to use. Draw a thin line around your magnet with it, and then fill in the middle. It's like decorating cookies with royal icing, just way easier. If bubbles form, pop them with a pin, or even just your finger (like I said, I'm not perfect). You need to let it dry for 24 hours and then you're done! 


I haven't finished all of the pictures I have yet, but my fridge is slowly getting filled up and I love it! I used three bottles of the mod podge dimensional magic which was about $5 each. The magnets were $10 and the pictures were 13 cents. So I spent about $25.13 on 78 Instagram magnets. If I would have ordered that many magnets from stickygram it would have cost $130... DIY for the win!

Any other Instagram addicts here? Do we need a support group? 12 steps or something? Do you display your Instagram pictures at home in a creative way? Let me know below!

2 comments :

Rina said...

Love this idea!! I also love all my instagram pictures but I'm bad about printing any. These magnets are adorable... Gotta try it.

mercraz1 said...

i love them as well and now i need some made for my filing cabinet in my office.