Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Exploring 5 Pointz

So today we hung out here:


New York City has been in an uproar over the British graffiti artist, Banksy, being here. Building owners have hired security guards to make sure his art is not vandalized. He sold original art on the street yesterday for $60 apiece and it's worth is now being estimated at over $30,000. Graffiti has been on the mind lately. Instead of stalking out Banksy, Daniel, Lily, and I took a little trip out to Long Island City to see some other famous graffiti art.



5 Pointz is a factory building where some of the world's best graffiti artists came and left their mark. Seeing their intricate work, especially after my own spray painting disaster of last week, was insanely inspiring. The graffiti is art that is larger than life. These people are crazy talented and 5 Pointz is a place where you view it as art, and not just a blemish on a building.



The sidewalks were also sprayed.



I know this is not the kind of thing everyone finds interesting, but we had a great time walking around. 5 Pointz is scheduled to be torn down soon and condos will be put in its place, so I'm glad we made the trip.



Lily was fascinated by the art, and I may have given her a little lecture about not using her crayons on the walls when we get home. I'm all for art, but I'll let her hone her skills on paper instead.



There was a small photo shoot happening while we were there. Lily apparently took some posing tips from the models:



Has anyone else been here? 



I'll be back tomorrow with a super easy project (no spray paint involved!) It's the perfect project for any Instagram addicts like myself. 

No comments :