Monday, October 7, 2013

A Tale of Two (ok, One) Paint Chips

After finishing my breakfront transformation, I was on a complete DIY high. I was glad to be done but ready to tackle my next project, an unloved bar that also needed some magic paint. I went to Lowes to grab some paint chips, hung them on the bar and then stared at them over the weekend.

I wanted a dark grey in a glossy finish because I thought it would look really good next to the light grey breakfront. I ended up choosing Pantone's Charcoal Grey.

Ain't he purty??

Bright and early that Monday morning, which was also Labor Day, I dropped Moshe off at school (I know, it's criminal to have school on Labor Day) and went straight to Lowes to get my paint and start my project. I was a little surprised by the long paint line before 9 am but I guess a long holiday weekend gets everyone in a DIY mood. When it was finally my turn I tell the paint guy what color I want and then everything comes screeching to a halt. He couldn't find the color in the computer system... What?? I had been under the impression that any paint company can look up any other company's color and then just mix it up with their paint. I had once even brought in a ball of yarn to Lowes and had them color match it. But there I was in their store trying to get a color that they sold and they couldn't find it. Apparently I had the last paint chip of the color, and it was at home, taped up on my bar, and the guy needed it because it was the only way he was going to be able to mix my paint for me. Luckily for me, I live really close to Lowes. "I'll be right back," I said.

Fifteen minutes later:
Paint Guy: "You're back?!"
Yes I'm back!! I mean business!

And he got me my paint. And it's over a month later, and my bar is sitting exactly the same as it was that morning.

Guess I really meant business huh?


Feel free to pay me a visit Glinda.

3 comments :

mercraz1 said...

I wish there was a fairy for a spouse's DIY projects, i would offer a sacrifice to that god.

Goldie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Goldie said...

I'm sure the DIY fairy is not as good looking as you so I'll have to keep you around. Thanks for you're help always! xoxo