Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My HONY Moment

No, I wasn't spotted in the street and asked for a photo, but I had quite the Humans of New York moment last night.

Everyone here is familiar with Brandon Stanton right? He manages to capture the attention of not only the people of NYC, but people all over the world, with a picture and a one line caption of people he sees on the streets of New York. 


The Humans of New York book came out yesterday, and Brandon was at the Union Square Barnes & Noble, meeting his fans. I'm quite a fan girl so I went to camp out with my fab friend, Yael, to get our books signed. That Barnes and Noble is huge. Brandon was up on the fourth floor, and we were stuck waiting on the second. Yael and I haven't ran out of things to talk about over the last 20 years so we managed to keep ourselves entertained while we waited. We weren't even sure we would be able to meet Brandon, because the store employees had told us we needed to have our Barnes & Noble receipt to get in, and wouldn't you know, I had preordered my book from Amazon. 

We finally made our way up to the fourth floor even without a receipt and we got our first glimpse of Mr. Stanton himself. Even after putting his John Hancock on hundreds of books he was still smiling. 


Some of the colorful characters from the book were also there like this adorable tango dancer (EDITED: yes, I know he is dressed as a matador but he calls himself a tango dancer in the book) and Blackwolf the Dragonmaster. 


 
Yael and I had a very quick moment with Brandon, but it was quite a night. I heard an employee say she had never worked such a big event there.



When meeting the author of a book that celebrates New York City, the only way to end the night is with some sketchy hole in the wall falafel and a two hour ride home on the subway because of night work. 


Was anyone else there last night? Did you buy the book even if you weren't there? What do you think of it?

1 comment :

mercraz1 said...

glad that you were able to meet him and get a signature even if it was a whole ordeal