Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Bar That Got Iggy

It's just so fancy now.



And I couldn't be happier to be finished with this never ending project, or more thrilled with how it turned out! I tend to talk too much, so I'm going to throw out the absolutely fab after picture, before I start the rambling wordy part of this post. Feast your eyes on this baby:



I know! Can you even believe that it's the same piece of furniture?



Last week I shared the O'verlays that I painted to match the bar. O'verlays can be used by themselves on any piece of furniture but I wanted to add a mirror, because who doesn't love a good piece of mirrored furniture? I had two mirrors cut at a local glass shop. I brought the O'verlay in with me and asked them to cut it to almost the same dimensions. The mirror was 1/8 inch smaller on each side, but I'll give you the details on that later.

I was super nervous to actually glue the mirror down, because getting things to be straight or even is not a strong point of mine. I decided to make a really big paper template to use. I just taped a bunch of sheets of paper together to make it the same size as one of the doors of the bar. I marked where the knobs go, and then measured where I wanted the mirror to go.



I held it up and used a level to make sure everything was straight, and then cut out where the mirror would be. I was left with a very thin strip of paper that I taped onto the door. I realize there is probably a lot of better ways to make sure you are attaching something straight, but I found this the easiest thing for me.

I attached the mirror using a heavy duty mirror adhesive and a caulk gun.



I then attached the O'verlay to the mirror using a clear silicone adhesive. The reflection of the back of the O'verlay shows in the mirror, which is why I had painted the back, and why it's important to use a clear adhesive.



Once the O'verlay was centered there was a slight overhang, because the mirror was cut just a drop smaller.

I used paintable white caulk to fill the gap. I know, so many (smelly) adhesives for one project. Make sure you are working in a well ventilated area and wear gloves!  Once it was dry painted it gray like the rest of the bar. This gave the bar a more seamless look as opposed to hey, I glued a bunch of things on top if and lets call it a day.



When the final paint touch ups (I did some parts of the door also which is why in the above picture the colors look a little wonky) were done it was time to put this baby back together. Oh happy day!



I am loving this corner of furniture makeovers! The bar really complements the breakfront. The time put into this piece was so worth it. I have a completely different piece of furniture for what it would cost in just shipping fees to buy something new.

Does anyone have any major summer projects on the horizon? Let me know below! I can't believe I have such a big project done, and it's not even July yet. But then again, I did kind of start this thing ten months ago.

If you want to read about this transformation from the beginning, here are the links.

A Tale of Two (ok, one) Paint Chips
This is What a Really Awesome Husband Looks Like
Airing Your Dirty...
That Terrible Middle Stage
Not Quite There Yet
Overly Smitten with O'verlays


2 comments :

Baatsheva said...

I absolutely love it! That furniture corner looks great, good work!

Unknown said...

Came out beautiful!